Monday, May 28, 2007

What's My Line?

(Contest)

In a few hours I'll be off to the Book Expo of America -- one of, if not the largest, book and publishing conventions in North America. It is held in New York City this year, just a touch closer than last year's D.C. trip (particularly when I was in California the previous weekend).

Hopefully I'll get a chance to prowl through the various publishers and businesses at the convention, and maybe post some images while I'm at it.

In the mean time, I thought I'd post a snippet of the upcoming "Burning Bright" episode with Caley Faith Dayton. The art is by Jason Whitley -- a dedicated and extremely hardworking artist. To avoid giving away details, I'll leave this to the imagination. Is that a .45 and a 9mm?

Obviously there is more to the story than this edited frame. In fact, the text has been removed, leaving Caley's thoughts to imaginative speculation. My guess is the fellow on the floor is no longer having thoughts. Then again, he could.

Either way, if anyone cares to come up with a clever bit of dialogue for this scene, feel free to email it to me or post it. Given Caley's vocabulary, the language can be strong -- but I'd expect not graphic. Of course, I'll be the judge, and there is not "right" answer. Just a close match. And who knows, maybe I don't have one and I'm tricking someone into giving me one. :)

I'll select the top two lines and mail either a copy of the magazine containing episode #1 of "Burning Bright," or a copy of Artifacts: Memories out of Space and Time, which contains the short fiction story with Caley (titled "The Tiger"). It originally appeared in the anthology Dark Furies, but I believe that is out of print now.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I emailed. Did you get it?
Here is my line. "Wrong answer."

Anonymous said...

Have fun. I've never heard of that con.

I can't wait to see this next Caley. How about DON'T MAKE MAKE ME MAD.

William Jones said...

Hello Anon...

Indeed I received your email -- both. I had not published your post initially because it was anonymous.

Anonymous said...

Here's my line "I thought I used two bullets?"

Regards
David Conyers

Anonymous said...

Nice tattoo.

Anonymous said...

I said NO TOMATOES.

Anonymous said...

I won't say it again...Does this outfit make me look fat!?

Anonymous said...

Now does anyone else have a question?

Anonymous said...

"Smokin'!"

Charles P. Zaglanis said...

"Didn't those science geeks tell you? Meeting me can be mind-blowing."

or "Scan me."

Heather Hatch said...

I like that art style quite a bit. It looks like she is looking at someone else just out of frame...

"I told you, I had this under control."

Or maybe,

"Right, you wanna be the next contributor to my new gun collection?"

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

"Who's next?"

Anonymous said...

"My bad..."

Anonymous said...

sorry it took me so long...

as for the dialog,

"How's that for fearful symmetry."

Anonymous said...

Yep, they're loaded.

William Jones said...

Everyone, thank you for the clever posts. I realized that there was no deadline for the contest, so it will run until June 22nd. The contest is just for the entertainment, so make the posts as fun as you like, and as many as you like. I can see deciding is going to be difficult.

William Jones said...

Okay, deciding is quite difficult. So I decided that everyone had a good answer, and I selected 3 winners at random.

The winners are:

Kevin
Nate Reyes
Heather Hatch

Email me shipping information and your choice of DW #10 or Artifacts (short story collection).

Thanks to everyone for providing some great lines. I'll try it again in the future with another excerpt.
Thanks